FltMgr Service Defaults in Windows 8
File System Filter Manager Driver.
The FltMgr service is a file system driver. In Windows 8 it is being loaded by Boot Loader before Kernel initialization. If FltMgr fails to load or initialize, the error details should be automatically logged. Then Windows 8 is restarting the PC and attempting to use the Last Known Good configuration. If the Last Known Good configuration isn't working properly, Windows 8 startup ends with a Stop error. If you disable the FltMgr service, Windows 8 will fail to start.
All the services listed below will not start if FltMgr is disabled:
- AppID Driver
- Application Identity
- File Information FS MiniFilter
- File System Dependency Minifilter
- UAC File Virtualization
- Windows Defender Mini-Filter Driver
- Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver
Restore Default Startup Configuration for FltMgr
1. Select your Windows 8 edition and update pack, and then click Download.
2. Save the Win8_FltMgr_Service_Startup.cmd file to a local storage device.
3. Run the saved file as an administrator.
4. Restart the computer.
The FltMgr service is using the fltmgr.sys file that is located in the %WinDir%\system32\drivers folder. If the file is corrupted or deleted, you can put it back in there.