FltMgr Service Defaults in Windows 7
File System Filter Manager Driver.
FltMgr is a file system driver. In Windows 7 it is being loaded by Boot Loader before Kernel initialization. If FltMgr fails to load, Windows 7 attempts to write the error data into Event Log and restart the computer, using the Last Known Good configuration. If the Last Known Good configuration is not valid, Windows 7 startup ends with a Stop error. If you remove or disable the FltMgr service, Windows 7 won't start.
If FltMgr is stopped, the following services cannot start:
- AppID Driver
- File Information FS MiniFilter
- File System Dependency Minifilter
- UAC File Virtualization
Restore Default Startup Configuration for FltMgr
1. Select your Windows 7 edition and service pack, and then click Download.
2. Save the Win7_FltMgr_Service_Startup.cmd file to a local storage device.
3. Run the saved file as an administrator.
4. Restart the computer.
The FltMgr service is using the fltmgr.sys file that is located in the %WinDir%\system32\drivers folder. If the file is changed, damaged or deleted, you can restore its original version from Windows 7 installation media.